Sunday, August 30, 2009

dessert

A few weeks ago, one of the blogs I regularly read mentioned a craving for Concord grape ice cream and was asking if any readers had a recipe. I suggested she try granita, and since then have had a craving of my own. At the farmer's market yesterday, I picked up some Concord and Muscat grapes, and this morning I made granita. I'm debating whether I should finish writing this before or after I go and help myself to another serving. It's sweet and refreshing, one of the best flavors I've made yet.
Making granita is more of a method than a recipe. The key is to use liquid that is a little stronger and sweeter than you would want juice for drinking.

I smashed the grapes with a muddler, then pushed them through a sieve with a wooden spoon. I kept the pulp and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then smashed it through the sieve again. A few more tablespoons of juice came out, so it seems worth the wait. I had about a pound (or 2 cups) of each variety.

To the juice, I added 1/4 cup of simple syrup and then poured each one into a glass baking dish and placed then in the freezer. An hour later, I used a fork to stir in the crystals that formed around the edge, and then placed the dishes back in the freezer for the rest of the day.



To serve, use a fork to scrape the granita and a spoon to scoop it in to the serving dish.


1 comment:

Cardboard said...

This looks super! I love the purple/green together. Might just have to try it out this weekend as a fond farewell to summer.