Sunday, March 29, 2009

getting to know you #9

Brigitte Bouquet has amazing talent working with ceramics. Her use of color and texture is incredible.

please tell us who you are, and a bit about your business/art.

My name is Brigitte Bouquet.I was born in Amsterdam and have moved around quite a bit.....over the last 7 years I have lived in Amsterdam, Chicago, Sydney Australia, and now Brooklyn NY. It has been an incredible experience but also exhausting!

I've been working with ceramics for more than 15 years.

Next to my sculptural work http://web.me.com/bbceramics, I started last year with the Wobbly Plates www.atelierbb.etsy.com

describe your creative/creating process.

I have a nice studio in the basement of our building.

Most of my big sculptures take about 3 to 6 months from the beginning to end and I work on several pieces at the same time.

I am fascinated by patterns - in nature- so most of my work finds its origin there.

My studio is very organized and everything I collect has its own particular place.

Those diverse pieces of inspiration could be sitting there for years before they get used.

The last couple of months have been very hectic. I have an exhibition coming up and plan to show 3 new big ceramic wall sculptures from my circles series and some new objects made from driftwood poles. The poles are wrapped in a net of small pieces of ceramics and copper wires. The driftwood had been standing in the studio for more than a year before I finally knew what I wanted to do with them.

Somehow all my work is connected and ideas and techniques that might have found there origins years ago in larger and more abstract works resurface for example in the designs and textures of the Wobbly Plates. I really like that!


what are your favorite places to shop (both on and off etsy)?

am a 'market'-girl.....I am fond of them......farmers markets - book markets - village markets (when I am traveling) -flea markets....I can spend a whole morning in the summer on a market....fantastic.....

how do you describe your personal style?

one big big mix.... old & new, vintage, from all over the world, it’s very personal,

off trend, on trend, behind trend, ahead of trends whatever..

what is your top piece of advice for someone trying to run their own business?

Wellllll, I am not really the best person to ask!

I love to create and I am absolutely not devoted to the other part....

For me it’s all about the work and I am not trying to second guess what people might buy.

name five things that are a constant in your daily routine.

morning coffee & breakfast

yoga/pilates

music & local radio - right now WNYC

working in my studio of course

cooking and having dinner with my partner

what is your ideal day?

a combination of;

in my hammock under the shade of the trees with a superb book and brainstorming with my partner about new ideas of projects.

tell us something about yourself that we might find surprising.

I hate moving!!

No comments: