Sunday, September 5, 2010

summertime food

In the middle of canning 20 jars of apple butter, I said to my sister that we should really order-in when we get together to can instead of planning meals like vegie burger and gazpacho from scratch. It was a laborious day, but the food was amazing so I can't say I regret it.
I used to think I didn't like gazpacho. One night on a whim my wife and I ordered a bowl to share at Ti Couz and it has become a favorite ever since. I think the key is putting the vegetables in last minute, and of course having tomatoes at the height of their season doesn't hurt.
Here's how I made it:
4 pounds peeled and seeded tomatoes, I used Early Girls
juice from 2 limes
1 t salt
1/2 t cumin
1/4 t cayenne, or to taste
2 small or 1 lg clove garlic

Pulverize in a blender, cuisinart or if you are lucky, a vita-mix. Chill it for an hour before serving.



Have in small bowls any (or all) of the following:
cilantro
corn off the cob
mango
avocado
cucumber
red onion
roasted peppers
radishes




1 comment:

shanzler said...

I guess I could have looked on the blog rather than call you. It turned out really well and I highly recommend it for brunch.