Wednesday, April 29, 2009

recipe

I dreamed a few nights ago that I was at Ina Garten's house. If you don't know, she's the cook behind Barefoot Contessa, and I am a huge huge fan of hers. We were hosting a dinner party together and several unexpected guests showed up. I had to re-plate everything to accommodate everyone and I was very flusstered especially being in someone else's kitchen. Ina was very disaproving of me, and was being totally rude. I was surprised by what a bitch she turned out to be. Also, I flashed someone at one point.


Lime Curd (Barefoot Contessa)
4-5 limes at room temperature
1 1/2 c sugar
1/4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
4 xl eggs at room temperature
1/8 t salt

Zest the limes. Squeeze the limes until you have 1/2 c juice and set aside. Put the zest in a food processor, add the sugar and process for 2-3 minutes. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar mixture. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, then add the lime juice and salt.
Pour the mixture into a 2 qt. saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
I like to pour it immediately into a serving container and allow it to cool as it looks nicer this way. Or pour it into a prepared tart shell.
Keeps for a few weeks in the fridge (if you don't eat it all first.)

No comments: