Sunday, June 26, 2011

what we're eating

In the 10 years that we have been together, my wife and I have developed a lovely routine for celebrating Pride weekend.



We want to spend less and less time each year in the wild crowd so we have starting hosting a dinner party on Saturday night. We invited half a dozen friends over and they all brought friends so in the end we were about 30 people. Cristina made Pride Fried Chicken which was a hit! I make a borlotti bean and sugar snap pea salad with tomatoes, feta and mint, corn on the cob, roasted sweet potato fries and sliced up a watermelon. Plenty of beer and white wine flowed and fun was had by all.
By special request, I also made blue cheese dip with crudite. This stuff is amazing so I'm giving you the recipe. Originally it was a Barefoot Contessa recipe, but I have adapted it a bit to be slightly less fattening. I would not exactly call it low fat even with the change.

Blue Cheese Dip
3/4 c gorgonzola or other blue cheese
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/2 c plain non-fat yogurt (you can use greek yogurt but you will need to add a tablespoon or so of milk to thin out the dressing so I suggest a European style)
1/2 t Worcestershire
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Blend it all in a food processor until smooth (or keep some lumps if you prefer).

All we had leftover from the party were some carrot and celery sticks and a few ears of corn. I cut off the kernels and am making stock for a nice summer corn chowder which we will eat tonight with grilled cheese sandwiches. Tomorrow we are having fajitas and that is as far as I have gotten with the meal plan for the week.


No comments: