Friday, March 5, 2010

back to food

I remember asking you all if you minded me posting more about food. Then I posted a bunch of pictures of the girls and other non-edibles. Sorry.
We have been "paying" a friend of ours to help record The Heated's newest project in the form of food. So far she seems okay with it, and her partner who just comes at the end of the session to eat is definitely pleased. Last night while the pig was in the oven we munched on Midnight Moon and I poured a lovely bottle of champagne that a great friend with even better taste gave to me.
I've never roasted a pork loin before, but it was really easy and came out perfectly. No surprise though because the instructions I used were Ina's.
Buy a 2-3 lb. boneless pork loin. We butterflied it then mashed it out a bit so it was even and a bit thinner. She says to butterfly into thirds which would have been good too.


Saute in a bit of olive oil and butter 1 large or two small yellow onions, sliced. After they soften add 2 ribs celery sliced thinly and a teaspoon of fresh thyme. De-glaze with a little wine and throw in 2 good handfuls of breadcrumbs. Allow to cool before stuffing.


Sprinkle the meat, cut side up with salt and pepper. Spread the stuffing evenly and begin to roll . Tie with twine and rub with olive oil and more salt and pepper. I've never trussed a roast but it was easier than dressing a toddler so I managed alright.


Bake for 30 minutes at 425, then turn down to 350 and bake another 20-30. For my 2 1/2 lb, 25 additional minutes was perfect.
Take out of the oven and allow to rest.


Also on the menu was roasted sweet potato fries with aoli, pan seared asparagus and steamed chard.
It's been awhile since I made an apple crostata and while this before picture is lovely, you should have seen it baked. Total perfection. My champagne giving friend and I devoured the leftovers for breakfast this morning.


No comments: